Saturday, September 08, 2012

A rough night in Ohio

Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, 8 a.m. Eastern time.

Last night was one of those off-nights you experience from time to time -- when things are not right. First, there was the packed-to-the-gills campground. I stopped early at a KOA at Buckeye Lake. I needed peace and quiet to finish the newsletter. The place was crawling with campers. But they squeezed me into a small space with an electric hookup, which I needed for my air conditioning. The heat and humidity was wicked!. A local RV dealer was holding a customer appreciation weekend - that's why the place was packed. About 70 rigs showed up. I thought that was a very smart thing of the RV dealer to do.

The evening went fine. A little noisy now and then, but I got my work done.

I went to bed at 11 p.m. At 2 a.m., my neighbors returned to their trailer, sat outside and began talking loudly. Finally, I asked them politely to please be quiet. People were trying to sleep. They said nothing. They kept talking. I was mad.

Then, as if my prayers had been answered, the rain came, light at first. Then heavy. Then lightning. That sent them indoors. All quiet.

SIRENS IN THE NIGHT
Then, at 2:15, sirens. I thought it must be to alert the local volunteer fire department. No, it was a tornado warning. I figured that out after the sirens kept on wailing

I'm from the West Coast. We have no tornadoes. They are scary to us. I looked around the campground. All lights were out. Nobody seemed to care. But I did. I was nervous. I have no interest in visiting Oz. . .

I checked the National Weather Service. Yes, there was a danger of a tornado until 3 a.m. Who could sleep? Not me. So I waited. At 3, no tornado. The tornado warning morphed into a Severe Weather Alert for lightning. I went back to bed. The only lightning was in the far distance.

After some tossing and turning, I slept. I woke up early, at 7, as I typically do on Saturdays, sometimes earlier, worried that I made a huge mistake in the newsletter and that a reader would alert me so I could fix it. But no emails. All seemed okay.

So here I am. I want out of Ohio. I will hit I-70 in an hour after my shower and breakfast to vamoose to Pennsylvania. I am due in Hershey tomorrow evening for the start of the big RV show the next day.

The weather looks crummy along my path today, then better tomorrow. Then it should be nice in Hershey -- mid 70s and sunny. That sounds very good. But I am not looking forward to the drive today in the rain and maybe bad winds.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It never fails to amaze me how inconsiderate some RVers are-don't seem to care about anyone but themselves!

Friarjp said...

Shane you had such a bad night in Ohio. You were just about 20 miles north of us here in Sugar Grove. It is also a shame that you did not get to the Happy Penguin in Lancaster. Would have loved to meet you in person!
John

Anonymous said...

We have been in KOA's in bad weather (Texas residents) and asked where to go for safety in a tornado alert - they said go into the restrooms, in the main office bldg. Might check this out in future sites if you have more bad weather.

Along the Way with JnK said...

That is one of the biggest reasons we stayed west this season...too many sirens in the middle of the night we endured last year...along with several times being right in the middle of tornadoes. Too much loss of sleep and way to many tears fro the fear of weather! Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the noisy neighbors. We have had that happen to us as well. I don't understand how some campers just don't get the "quiet hour" concept. About the weather, we had that happen to us several years ago in Indiana. NOAA radio went off at 2 AM and we were scared. Can't see anything unless the lightning flashes. Enjoy Hersey!

Brenda said...

Hi Chuck.

David and I had a tornado touch down just a block away from us while staying at the fairgrounds in Goshen, IN. That was the first for us and hopefully the last. We're leaving Indy tomorrow (our trade show just ended today) and that weather that you had sounds like what went thru here fast and furious last evening around 8pm. It was raining so hard that a man hole cover was raised up off the pavement about a foot, balancing on the gushing water from below. Now that's a lotta rain! We did have tornado warnings in the area, however we got nothing but severe rain, thunder and lightening.

Safe travels to Hershey. We're headed to Michigan to explore that whole area.

Brenda

MARYANN said...

There was no space to leave a comment on the blog where Chuch ranted about how impolite America has become. I just howled with laughter even tho I know he was dead serious. I'm still giggling over the "no problem" comment. Chuck, you are thinking too much and not laughing enough. You will continue to be polite because it is the right thing to do. You made my day... Warm hugs to Chuck.

Cheese Queen said...

Sorry you had a scary night from the weather.

Don't get too nervous to enjoy the Midwest- tornado warnings will happen all summer long, but your chances of actually getting caught in one are much smaller than the hazard of an accident on the highway.

A NOAA weather radio is a great companion as you wander through Tornado Alley.

Anonymous said...

When we first got our RV in 2009, we drove thru numerous storms [ not great when you are a new driver). At one camp, the director told us and pointed out on the map where to go in case of bad weather - the office near us or the restrooms at the other end.

When I was camping at Red River Army Depot in Texas they had the large commercial cargo pods secured to a concrete pad. There is a big sign on the sign so you know it is the emergency shelter. I didn't need to run to it so I don't know how it is equipped.

Happy trails and enjoy some dark chocolate. Someday I will get up to Hershey, PA and do some deep breathing.